2018 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics Awarded to Charles L. Bennett, Gary Hinshaw, Norman Jarosik, Lyman Page Jr., David N. Spergel, and the WMAP Science Team.
WATCH THE BREAKTHROUGH PRIZE CEREMONY LIVE!
Date: December 3, 2017, 7:00 PM PST
Location: Ames Research Center, Mountain View, CA
Video streaming link
– Breakthrough Prizes in the field of Life Sciences (up to five annual $ 3 million prizes)
– Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics (one annual $ 3 million prize)
– Breakthrough Prize in Mathematics (one annual $ 3 million prize)
– New Horizons in Physics (up to three annual $ 100,000 prizes)
– New Horizons in Mathematics Prizes (up to three annual $ 100,000 prizes)
2018 Breakthrough Prize in Mathematics Awarded to Christopher Hacon and James McKernan.
New Horizons in Physics Prizes Awarded to Christopher Hirata, Douglas Stanford, and Andrea Young.
New Horizons in Mathematics Prizes Awarded to Aaron Naber, Maryna Viazovska, Zhiwei Yun, and Wei Zhang.
Third Annual International Breakthrough Junior Challenge Won by Hillary Diane Andales.
Laureates to be honored at glittering awards gala hosted by Morgan Freeman, with live performance by Wiz Khalifa and musician Nana Ou-Yang, and presentations from Mayim Bialik, Lily Collins, Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher, Katie Ledecky, Kerry Washington, John Urschel, Miss USA Kára McCullough and the founders of the Breakthrough Prize.
The award of $3 million, the largest award in the sciences,is given to researchers who have made discoveries that extend human life. The Prize is awarded annually, beginning in 2013, with six awards given in each subsequent year. Winners are expected to give public lectures and form the committee to decide future winners.